This Tourer is a Real Sport
The Kawasaki Concours motorcycle combines much of the comfort and weather protection of a full-dress touring machine with the performance, agility and styling of a sportbike to make one of the most affordable sport-touring machines on the market.
The Concours’ 997cc liquid-cooled four-cylinder engine produces strong power throughout the range. A gear-driven engine counterbalancer helps reduce engine vibration for rider comfort and increased electrical component life. Top gear in the six-speed transmission keeps the engine at a relaxed rpm at highway speeds, which adds to rider comfort on long-distance interstate rides. Power reaches the five-spoke rear wheel through a quiet and reliable low-maintenance shaft drive.
The Concours handles twisty backroads just as easily as it cruises the highway. Its diamond frame design is simple yet rigid, and uses the engine as a stressed member to eliminate weight and ease engine maintenance. Kawasaki’s Bottom-Link UNI-TRAK® rear suspension system with lightweight aluminum components keeps the rear wheel firmly planted on all kinds of paved roads. A remote adjuster on the single shock makes it easy to tune rebound damping to any of four settings, and air pressure can be adjusted to match riding style, load and road conditions. Front suspension is handled by a 41mm fork with adjustable preload. Dual front disc brakes and a single disc rear provide sure stopping power.
Rider comfort is a priority on the Concours. A triple density foam seat is deeply contoured to please both the rider and passenger, while the full fairing creates an aerodynamic envelope for two when riding in a relaxed, upright riding position. Air vent ducts built into the fairing help cool the rider in warm temperatures. Two lockable bins are located on either side of the fairing for added convenience, while the easy-to-read instrumentation is similar to that found on the Kawasaki NINJA® ZX-11 sportbike and includes a digital clock as well as dual trip meters.
The Concours is equipped for the long haul with a 7.5-gallon fuel tank for exceptional touring range. Detachable locking hard luggage lets riders pack for extended trips, and to retain the smooth flow of the bodywork special panels are provided to fit the Concours’ sides when the saddlebags are removed.
Concours buyers can also enjoy the benefits of the Concours Owners Group (COG) and the Kawasaki Good Times™ Owners Club (GTOC). Rides and functions take place throughout the year across the nation so that Concours owners never have to ride alone.
With the protection of a full fairing, carrying capacity of saddlebags, the Kawasaki Concours is a machine that makes long-distance adventures a pleasure and commuting more fun, all at a reasonable price.
2001 CONCOURS™ FEATURES
- More even-running temperatures means no “power fade” on hot days and longer engine life
- Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running
- Includes temperature gauge
Radiator with Auxiliary Cooling Fan
- Engine is maintained at optimum temperature for best performance, fuel economy and reliability
Four Valves per cylinder
- Better breathing for more power at high rpm
- Compact combustion chamber for increased compression ratio without detonation on today’s gasolines
Boosts low-end torque
- Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
Gear-Driven Engine Balancer
- Smoothes engine vibration for comfort on the road
- Lower vibration levels increase electrical component life
- Increased reliability and durability
- Convenient location makes starting and warm-up easier
Push-to-Cancel Turn Signals
- No fumbling, just a simple push on the switch cancels the turn signals
- A gear for every situation gives better acceleration
- Allows more relaxed highway cruising while utilizing the engine’s full potential
Transistor Controlled Breakerless Ignition with Electronic Timing Advance
- A hot spark at all engine speeds for easy starting, smooth running and good fuel economy
- Two lockable bins in the fairing for convenience
- Instrumentation based on the ZX-11 panel also includes a digital clock
- Provides an aerodynamic envelope for two
- Special cool air ventilation ducts to maximize your comfort
Triple Density Foam Seat
- Deeply contoured seat gives exceptional comfort two-up on long trips
7.5 Gallon Fuel Tank
- Provides exceptional touring range
- Detaches with the flip of a latch
Bottom-Link UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension with 4-Way Rebound Damping
- Progressive rate provides a smoother, more controlled ride
- Lightweight aluminum components provide quick suspension response
- Remote adjuster makes it easy to tune the suspension to your riding style, load and road conditions
Dual Front Disc Brakes
- BAC pin-slide calipers for great braking power and long pad life
- Large, 300mm diameter front discs are drilled to reduce unsprung weight
- Reliable stopping power under demanding conditions
- Wide rims handle large, low-profile tires
- Low maintenance: never needs adjusting
2001 CONCOURSE SPECIFICATIONS
Engine 4-stroke, DOHC, 16-valve in-line four Displacement 997cc Bore x Stroke 74.0 x 58.0mm Cooling Liquid Carburetion Keihin CVK32 x 4 Ignition Transistor Controlled Breakerless Ignition (TCBI) with electronic advance Transmission 6-speed Frame High-tensile steel diamond design Rake/trail 28.5 degrees/4.8 in. Suspension type, front 41mm preload-adjustable fork Suspension type, rear
Air adjustable UNI-TRAK® single-shock system with 4-way adjustable rebound damping
Wheel travel, front 5.5 in. Wheel travel, rear 5.5 in. Tire, front 120/70VR18 tubeless radial Tire, rear 150/80VR16 tubeless radial Brakes, front/rear Dual hydraulic discs/Single hydraulic disc Overall length 90.2 in. Overall width 36.6 in. Overall height 55.7 in. Ground Clearance 5.1 in. Seat height 31.1 in. Dry weight (claimed) 595 lbs. Fuel capacity 7.5 gal. Wheelbase 61.2 in. Color(s) Metallic Sonic Blue/Pearl Cosmic Gray M.S.R.P. (USA) $8,199 *Specifications subject to change.
Top Of Page | Kawasaki Models | Kawasaki Prices | New Models | Home
Copyright © 2000 by Motorsports Network. All Rights Reserved.