New 2006 Kawasaki KLX250
KAWASAKI KLX™250S JOINS 2006 MODEL LINE-UP
Street legal model with electric starting will make a debut in Kawasaki showrooms.
It may be dressed in the same Kawasaki Lime Green as its sibling KLX300R, but the all-new KLX250 with electric start finds itself equally at home on the pavement as it will when the riding terrain calls for off-road performance. Aggressively styled in the same manner as Kawasaki’s KX™ motocross equipment, the KLX250 features a lightweight engine with a wide powerband, and a lightweight, high-tensile steel perimeter frame.
Powering this new entry in the Kawasaki stable is a compact, liquid-cooled, four-stroke, single-cylinder engine displacing 249cc. With bore and stroke measuring 72 x 61.2 mm, the engine is mounted towards the bottom of the perimeter frame, helping to deliver a low center of gravity. The engine’s dual overhead cams activate four valves atop an electrofusion-coated aluminum cylinder that provides the KLX250 power plant with extra strength and reliability. The design of the cylinder head provides maximum valve area for optimum flow, and a low reciprocating weight contributes to higher efficiency at high rpm readings.
Riders headed out for a long trip will appreciate the gear-driven engine balancer, which helps eliminate engine vibration to deliver greater rider comfort and less fatigue. When getting off the pavement calls for extra protection, the KLX250’s aluminum engine guard shields the crankcase from rocks and stones so prevalent when riding on gravel or dirt roads.
With today’s fuel prices, even motorcyclists want to pay attention to gasoline consumption. A Keihin 34mm semi-flat slide CVK carburetor equipped with a Throttle Position Sensor delivers the optimum amount of fuel required under all riding conditions, contributing to improved responsiveness and power, as well as increased fuel economy. Motorcyclists will notice the 26.5° caster angle and short wheelbase which contribute to quick handling response, while the frame rigidity helps straight-line stability. The Uni-Trak® rear suspension provides good road-holding ability and bump absorption and the 43mm inverted cartridge-style front fork comes with a 16-way compression damping adjustment. Stopping the powerful KLX250 is handled by front and rear disc brakes. A twin-piston caliper grips a 250mm semi-floating disc up front, while a single piston caliper operates the 220mm rear disc. Sitting atop the new KLX250 you find yourself thinking this thing feels light weight. The seat height is manageable for shorter riders, but it's not real low as this is a dual sport machine with healthy off-road suspension travel.
Key features of the new KLX250S:
• Flat-top piston and pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio. Lightweight piston, piston pin and connecting rod allow power-producing revs.
• Starting the KLX250 is simplified through the use of an electric starter and Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR), which automatically lifts an exhaust valve at cranking rpm.
• The digital CDI provides precise control of ignition timing and contributes to easy starts and reliability under extreme conditions.
• Dual, vertical-flow radiators provide highly efficient, reliable engine cooling.
• A lightweight, rigid aluminum swingarm contributes to reduced unsprung weight.
• Dual-dial instrument panel features easy-to-read analogue speedometer and tachometer, odometer, trip meter, water temperature warning lamp, and a series of indicator lamps.
• Snail-type chain adjusters simplify wheel removal and chain adjustments.
• The KLX250 is equipped with a 1.9 gallon fuel tank, narrowly constructed to provide the rider with a comfortable position.
2006 KLX250S Specifications
(This model is not available for sale in California)
Engine : Four-stroke, single cylinder, DOHC, 4-valves, liquid-cooled
Displacement : 249cc
Bore x stroke : 2.83 x 2.41 in
Cooling : Liquid
Carburetion : Keihin CVK34
Compression ratio : 11.0:1
Ignition : CDI
Transmission : Six-speed, return shift
Frame : High-tensile steel, perimeter design
Suspension type, front : Telescopic fork, upside down
Suspension type, rear : Uni-Track®, swingarm
Suspension adjustments, rear : N/A
Wheel travel, front : 11.2 in.
Wheel travel, rear : 11.0 in.
Tire, front : 3.00-21
Tire, rear : 4.60-18
Brakes, front : Single disc
Brakes, rear : Single disc
Overall length: 84.1 in.
Overall width : 34.8 in.
Overall height : 47.6 in.
Ground clearance : 11.6 in.
Seat height : 34.8 in
Dry weight : 262.4 lbs.
Fuel capacity : 1.9 gal.
Wheelbase : 56.5 in.
Color : Kawasaki Lime Green/Black
Expected arrival: Nov. 2005
MSRP (USA) : $ 4,699
Top Of Page | Kawasaki Models | New Models | Home
Copyright © 2005 by Motorsports Network. All Rights Reserved.