All New 1999 Valkyrie Interstate
First Ride - Review (1-26-99)
A new touring custom - $15,499 - $15,999
771 lbs., 3 color choices, 6.9 Gal., with stereo standard
[ Features / Specs ]
[ Top Of Page / 1999 Prices / Honda Models / Return To Home Page ]
Honda's all-new Valkyrie Interstate is a motorcycle that combines a traditional tourer's weather protection and luggage capacity with the Valkyrie's hot-rod six-cylinder performance and wraps it up in a 50's classic retro style. To make the Valkyrie Interstate a true king of the road, Honda crafted a fork-mounted fairing with a prominent chrome-case double headlight, topped by a duct below the windscreen in the fairing to reduce low-pressure turbulence for the rider and passenger.
There's more air management down below, in the form of radiator side-covers that route hot engine air away from rider, and incorporate vents to direct cool air to the rider's legs. Nestled in the fairing is a traditionally styled instrument display, as well as an AM/FM radio with 80 watts of output, intercom, automatic volume control, ambiance setting and connectors for an optional CB radio and rear speakers. Handlebar-mounted controls operate the various audio functions.
For proper touring-style cargo capacity, the Valkyrie Interstate gets a full-size trunk capable of holding two helmets to complement the 35-liter hard-shell saddlebags. Passengers will appreciate the full-size backrest on the front of the trunk, to go along with a wider seat than on the standard Valkyrie. And riders will be pleased with a recontoured saddle that drops seat height below that of the Valkyrie, down to 28.7 inches. And the Valkyrie Interstate achieves that seat height without sacrificing suspension travel or plushness.
Honda also added a rubber rear mount for the liquid-cooled six-cylinder engine to reduce vibration, and revised spark timing and carb settings for punchier midrange performance. To make good use of all that touring ability, the Valkyrie Interstate boasts a 6.9-gallon gas tank, almost a half-gallon bigger than a Gold Wing's. Two-tone color choices include Metallic Gray/Black, Black/Red, and classic Black.
Valkyrie Interstate Features
- Beautifully designed fork-mounted fairing features superb protection from the elements, a classic twin-headlight design with beautiful chrome case, and a laminar-flow fairing duct below the windscreen to minimize low-pressure turbulence for the rider.
- Full-size 49-liter rear trunk complements 35-liter saddlebags and is ideal for long-distance touring. Trunk holds up to two helmets, features hidden access lever and showcases twin pairs of retro-style chrome-set taillights.
- Increased-capacity fuel tank holds 6.9 gallons for extended touring.
- Radiator side-covers route hot engine air away from the rider and have adjustable vents to direct cooling air to rider's legs.
- Redesigned seat has firm, comfortable construction for long-distance touring and a low 28.7-inch seat height. Wide passenger seat has full-sized backrest for added comfort.
- Standard AM/FM radio features fairing mounted 25-watt speakers, intercom, automatic volume control, ambiance setting and connectors for optional CB radio, add-on auxiliary component and rear speakers.
- Handlebar-mounted module controls power, radio band, channel memory, audio mode, voice mode, talk, speakers/headset and clock.
- Additional touring modifications include revised ignition timing and carburetor settings for improved mid-range performance.
- rubber rear engine-mount to minimize vibration, additional frame strengthening for added loads, and revised spring and damping rates for rear shock absorbers to provide superior riding comfort.
- Classically styled instrument display features analog speedometer with electronic pickup, analog tachometer, LCD odometer, fuel level, clock, and audio displays.
- Joining classic Black are two beautiful two-tone color combinations: Pearl Dark Green/Metallic Gray and Black/Red.
- Liquid-cooled 1520cc six-cylinder engine is tuned for excellent roll-on power and sophisticated cruising comfort.
- Gold Wing-derived engine adds six carburetors, revised camshaft timing and free-flow exhaust system to boost engine out put considerably.
- Carefully designed chrome engine accents, including manifolds, timing belt cover and reshaped head covers, add to custom styling appeal.
- Five-speed transmission with close ratios for exciting roll-on performance.
- Quiet and virtually maintenance-free shaft drive.
- Simple-to-service screw-and-locknut valve-clearance adjusters.
- Tuned six-into-six exhaust system has three individual outlet pipes enclosed in a single muffler-like casing on each side. The six separate pipes give a unique and exciting sound, along with excellent performance.
- Maintenance-free hydraulic clutch, elec- tronic ignition, belt-driven camshafts and shaft drive reduce servicing time and cost.
- Powerful, 546-watt alternator offers plenty of power for electrical accessories.
- Tuned chassis offers confidence-inspiring handling.
- Massive, 45mm inverted front fork gives 5.1 inches of plush yet well-controlled travel.
- Large-section aluminum alloy top and bottom triple-clamps add to fork rigidity.
- Dual rear shocks with five-position preload adjustability give 4.7 inches of wheel travel.
- Large-section radial tires provide excellent grip and a smooth ride.
- Polished aluminum hollow-cast wheels complement the retro styling.
- Dual-front and single-rear disc brakes are equipped with twin-piston calipers.
- Long-range 6.9-gallon fuel tank.
- Relaxed and comfortable riding position comes from a wide, low, large-diameter handlebar and low, 28.7-inch seat height.
- Dual 45/45-watt halogen headlights with unique retro-style chrome case and multi reflector-type lens.
- Push-to-cancel turn signals.
- Comfortable, large-diameter handgrips.
- Transferable three-year unlimited-mileage limited warranty.
- Available Accessories Front nose mask, Tank belt, Windscreen-side visor, Front wind deflector, Radiator wind deflectors, Gold emblem set, Custom seat.
- Trunk options include mat, chrome rack, and chrome trunk rack guard rail. Armrest pads, Rear speaker, Passenger floorboards.
- Saddlebag options include mats, scuff cover, racks, and guard rails.
- Chromed items include fork case covers, sidecovers, handlebar levers, engine hangar cover, oil filler cap, radiator cap, radiator screen, handlebar risers, handle bar clamps, sidestand, swingarm cover, passenger footpeg bracket, Valkyrie emblem, front fender guard, front fender trim, and rear fender trim.
- Audio options include CB radio with available antenna, passenger CB talk switch, rear speakers and head sets.
Specifications: 1999 Valkyrie Interstate
|Engine Type: 1520cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder|
|Bore and Stroke: 71mm x 64mm|
|Compression Ratio: 9.8:1|
|Valve Train: SOHC: two-valves per cylinder|
|Carburetion: Six 28mm diaphragm-type CV|
|Ignition: Solid-state digital|
|Final Drive: Shaft|
|Suspension Front: 45mm inverted telescopic fork; 5.1 inches travel|
|Rear: Dual shocks with five-position spring preload adjustability; 4.7 inches travel|
|Brakes Front: Dual disc with twin-piston calipers|
Rear: Single disc
|Tires Front: 150/80R-17|
|Wheelbase: 66.5 inches|
|Seat Height: 28.7 inches|
|Dry Weight: 771.0 pounds|
|Fuel Capacity: 6.9 gallons, including 1.1-gallon reserve|
|Colors: Black, Pearl Dark Green/Metallic Gray, Black/Red|
|Pricing: (US) $15,499 - $15,999|
|California version differs slightly due to emissions equipment.|
[ Top Of Page / 1999 Prices / Honda Models / Return To Home Page ]