2002 HONDA VTX™
Honda To Release Massive 1800cc V-twin cruiser
Specifications | Accessories
Introducing the radical Honda VTX™ with an 1800cc Vanguard V-twin engine. The biggest, most powerful mass-production V-twin cruiser.
- All-new Vanguard™ engine is a 1795cc liquid-cooled 52 degree V-twin that hammers out 103 bhp at 5000 rpm and 117 lb./ft. of torque at 3000 rpm.
- Advanced, high-pressure programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI) and electronic digital ignition maximize power output and offer immediate throttle response in any gear.
- High-performance suspension features a 45mm inverted front fork.
- Show-stopping street-rod styling with distinctive hooded headlight, beautiful cast aluminum wheels and a dragster-style seat.
- A complete line of bolt-on accessories and appearance items.
- New V-twin Vanguard engine features 4-inch cylinder bores and the largest connecting rods and cylinders Honda has ever made.
- Offset dual-pin crankshaft with two primary-shaft-mounted balance weights allows a high-performance engine design while eliminating harsh engine vibration. The result: muscular power across a broad engine rpm-range for unequalled acceleration and roll-on performance.
- The 41.4-pound forged steel crankshaft uses bolted weights, reducing crankcase width nearly 2 inches and reducing crankshaft weight 8.8 pounds compared to a conventional one-piece design.
- Vanguard engine mounting system uses carefully matched engine hangers and rubber engine-mounts to eliminate unwanted vibration while preserving the V-twin character of the Vanguard engine's design.
- Three-valve cylinder head features two large, 34mm intake valves and a huge, 55mm exhaust valve to produce optimum flow for the air/fuel charge.
- Two iridium spark plugs per cylinder for efficient combustion at all engine speeds.
- Simple-to-service screw-and-locknut valve clearance adjusters.
- 4.5-liter airbox supplies a large volume of cool clean air to the engine.
- Two 42mm-diameter throttle bodies deliver air to two specially designed Denso(r) 50-psi high-pressure fuel injectors. Fuel is delivered through 12 nozzle tips in each injector, producing an atomized fuel mixture that is highly combustible, for maximum efficiency and power.
- Electronic CPU provides individual, digital 3-D fuel injection and ignition maps for each cylinder, creating ideal fuel mixture and spark advance settings for superb rideability.
- CPU-controlled closed-loop emission control system utilizes an air injection system and three-way exhaust catalyzer to simultaneously reduce emissions of hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and nitrous oxides (NOx).
- Vanguard's unique dry-sump oiling system utilizes a closed crankcase design and places the oil tank inside the gearbox case. The result is a freer-revving engine for improved power, and a lower engine height, allowing optimum rider ergonomics and a low, 27.3-inch seat height.
- Radiator with cooling fan maintains consistent engine temperature for optimum performance and long engine life.
- Maintenance-free automatic camshaft chain tensioners.
- Reliable electric-starter system.
- Handsome chromed two-into-one exhaust system produces a deep, exhaust note.
- Primary drive gear uses a cam-type damper to minimize powertrain lash.
- Sturdy eight-plate clutch with clutch-center damper assures smooth gear shifting.
- Five-speed transmission with carefully selected gear ratios for relaxed cruising and exciting roll-on performance.
- Shaft final-drive system provides smooth, low-maintenance operation.
- New driven flange design at the final drive gear eliminates final drive noise and wear and simplifies rear wheel installation.
- Massive tubular steel frame contains the Vanguard engine's power and gives the VTX™ a long, low muscular stance.
- Large, 45mm inverted front fork provides 5.1 inches of plush yet responsive wheel travel.
- Dual chromed rear shocks have 3.9 inches of wheel travel and feature an advanced internal valve system for a comfortable ride.
- The VTX's braking system features two three-piston front calipers and a single two-piston rear caliper. Application of the front brake lever activates the two outer pistons of the front calipers. Application of the rear brake pedal activates the two pistons of the rear caliper and the center pistons of the front calipers only. When only the rear brake pedal is used, an inline delay valve smoothes application of the front caliper center pistons.
- Beautiful, satin-finish cast aluminum wheels.
- Wide, low, 130/70R-18 radial front tire enhances street-rod styling and delivers superb handling.
- Aggressive 180/70R-16 radial rear tire puts the Vanguard engine's awesome power to the ground and provides exceptional traction.
- Illusion Red and Illusion Blue paint with ChromaFlair® brand light pigment alters hue as lighting conditions change.
- Dragster-style seat boasts a low, 27.3-inch seat height for confidence during low-speed maneuvers.
- Chopped front and rear steel fenders complement the VTX's street rod styling.
- Large, handsomely finished 4.4-gallon gas tank with aviation-style fuel cap offers extended cruising range.
- Tank-mounted chrome nacelle houses the fuel cap, tripmeter/odometer reset and indicator/warning lights for the turn signals, high beam, neutral indicator, low fuel level, oil pressure, coolant temperature and fuel injection.
- Extensive chrome finishing of engine parts includes cylinder head covers, valve inspection covers, spark plug covers, airbox cover, left crankcase cover, clutch cover and left-rear engine cover.
- Silver-finish on crankcases and cylinders with milled fin edges complete the custom street-rod look.
- Distinctive, chrome hooded headlight housing features a powerful, 55W/60W halogen bulb with a computer-designed multi-reflector for superb lighting in all conditions.
- Large speedometer with easy-to-read numerals.
- Semi-swept handlebar design provides a comfortable, upright riding position.
- Comfortably padded large-diameter handgrips with polished aluminum handlebar switch-housings and triple-clamp assembly.
- Reliable 300-watt alternator.
- Durable, maintenance-free 20-amp-hour battery.
- Maintenance-free, hydraulic clutch.
- Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
- Convenient push-to-cancel turn-signal switch.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty.
- Assembled in Marysville, Ohio.
- Chrome accessories include: backrest with pad, rear carrier, backrest/rear carrier mounting brackets, backrest trim, and rear fender panel.
- Soft goods include: motorcycle cover.
- Additional accessories include: leather hard-shell saddlebags, saddlebag mounting brackets, headlight cowl, and radiator chin cowl.
(Prototype model information-subject to change)
Engine Type: 1795cc liquid-cooled 52¡ V-twin
Bore and Stroke: 101.0mm x 112.0mm
Compression Ratio: 9.0:1
Valve Train: SOHC; three valves per cylinder
Carburetion: PGM-FI with automatic choke
Ignition: Solid-state digital, two spark plugs per cylinder
Final Drive: Shaft
Front: 45mm inverted fork; 5.1 inches axle travel
Rear: Dual shocks with five-position spring preload adjustability; 3.9 inches travel
Front: Dual 296mm disc with LBS three-piston calipers
Rear: Single 316mm disc with LBS two-piston caliper
Front: 130/70R-18 radial
Rear: 180/70R-16 radial
Wheelbase: 67.5 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 32.0¡
Trail: 152mm (6.0 inches)
Seat Height: 27.3 inches
Dry Weight: 705 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 4.4 gallons
Colors: Illusion Red, Illusion Blue, Metallic Silver, Black
California version differs slightly due to emissions equipment.
Top Of Page | Honda Index | New Models | Home
Copyright © 2000 by Motorsports Network. All Rights Reserved.